10 REASONS TO WATCH THE WINTER CLASSIC ON NEW YEARS DAY
Friday, 12.28.2007 / 3:07 PM MT / Features
By Heath Price-Khan
|"Ralph Wilson Stadium Transformed"
9. This will be the only game played in “football weather” on New Years Day! All the College Football bowl games will be in golf climates.
8. 70,000 plus fans, not one warm beer
7. The potential for a goal to be scored due to a gust of wind.
6. Four Advil and a little hockey will cure any post New Years Eve hangover.
5. 50% Chance of Snow, 100% chance Coyotes Analyst Darren Pang will be bundled up between the benches and still freezing.
4. Sabres Goalie Ryan Miller debuts a new goalie mask with a cool retro look that will be auctioned off after the game.
3. Fights on the ice, Snowball fights in the stands
2. Watch people freeze while you sit comfortably in Phoenix and think about getting 18 holes in after the game.
1. Sidney Crosby finally gets his day to shine on a national holiday on NBC. The NFL owns Thanksgiving and has given fans magical memories with greats like Brett Favre, Lawrence Taylor and Emmitt Smith stealing the show. Christmas Day belongs to the NBA and stars like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and now LeBron James. Can the NHL stake its claim to New Years Day? If it does, it will be because Sidney Crosby has a highlight reel day. What would look cooler than 70,000 crazy frostbitten fans throwing 70,000 hats on the ice after “The Next One” completes a hat trick?
Wayne Gretzky talks about the game and his outdoor experiences. Watch the Video!!!