|VAN||0||0||0||(0 - 0)||1|
|PHX||0||0||0||(0 - 0)||5|
GLENDALE, Ariz. – Ilya Bryzgalov made 35 saves and five of his teammates scored a goal as the Coyotes rolled to a 5-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks in front of a sellout crowd on Saturday night at Jobing.com Arena.
Canucks forward Alex Burrows spoiled Bryzgalov’s bid for his fourth shutout of the season by scoring a cosmetic goal with 1:45 left in the third period.
The victory enabled the Coyotes to finish a four-game homestand - which they started with a humbling 2-0 loss to Nashville a week ago - with an impressive 2-1-1 mark.
"We got challenged pretty good after the game against Nashville," said captain Shane Doan, who scored his 27th goal. "We were pretty disgusted with ourselves and it was pretty apparent in the room. We've made sure that we don't embarrass ourselves."
Daniel Winnik, Ed Jovanovski, Viktor Tikhonov and Matthew Lombardi also scored goals for the Coyotes (30-35-7).
Tikhonov’s goal in the second period was the most memorable because it was scored in bizarre fashion on a delayed penalty call against the rookie forward. With Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo on the bench for an extra attacker, Canucks forward Henrik Sedin lost control of the puck near Vancouver’s blue line thanks to a poke check by Tikhonov. Canucks defenseman Shane O’Brien tried to sweep the puck out of the zone but he inadvertently knocked it toward the Vancouver net. O'Brien then chased after it, but the puck crossed the goal line just ahead of O'Brien, who dived but couldn’t knock it off its course.
Asked what he was thinking after the puck slid into the net, Tikhonov said: "I was actually wondering if it counts or not. I didn't know whether I should celebrate or not."
Winnik gave the Coyotes a 1-0 lead when he knocked the puck off Canucks defenseman Mattias Ohlund and past Luongo with 5:55 left in the first period.
Bryzgalov stopped all 15 shots he faced in the first period, including one by Burrows on a shorthanded, odd-man rush at 11:40.
Leading 1-0, the Coyotes scored two goals within a span of 2:04 of the middle period, and Bryzgalov stopped all 11 shots he faced.
Doan beat Luongo with a wrist shot from the right faceoff dot at 1:21. Defenseman Keith Yandle set up the goal with a nifty pass.
Jovanovski put Phoenix ahead 3-0 during a power play just over two minutes later when he took a cross-slot pass from forward Steven Reinprecht and beat Luongo with a shot from the left faceoff circle.
The Coyotes did not practice on Friday.
"I think that paid dividends for us," Jovanovski said. "Guys were fresh. Guys are relaxed right now and they're just going out there and having fun ... and competing hard every shift."
• Coyotes Head Coach Wayne Gretzky said forward Brian McGrattan likely is out for the season because of an injury.
• Coyotes center Martin Hanzal played only 12 shifts on Saturday because of an arm injury, but he may play Sunday at Anaheim.
• Bryzgalov has faced the Canucks eight times since joining the Coyotes and has allowed two goals or fewer five times.
• Twelve Coyotes had one point, including forward Scottie Upshall, who upped his point streak to three games.
• Canucks Head Coach Alain Vigneault replaced Luongo with Jason LaBarbera at the start of the third period.
• McGrattan, Enver Lisin, Brandon Prust, Todd Fedoruk, Joakim Lindstrom and David Hale were Phoenix’s scratches. Vancouver scratched defensemen Ossi Vaananen and Rob Davison.
• The Canucks (38-24-9) have lost four road games in a row. They will play five more games on the road before again playing at General Motors Place in Vancouver.
• Canucks center Kyle Wellwood won 7 of 7 faceoffs.
|Daniel Winnik (3) ASST: Kurt Sauer (6), Martin Hanzal (18)|
1 - 0 PHX
|Shane Doan (27) ASST: Keith Yandle (23), Dmitri Kalinin (15)|
2 - 0 PHX
|PPG - Ed Jovanovski (7) ASST: Steve Reinprecht (23), Petr Prucha (9)|
3 - 0 PHX
|EN - Viktor Tikhonov (8) ASST: NONE|
4 - 0 PHX
|Matthew Lombardi (12) ASST: Scottie Upshall (18)|
5 - 0 PHX
|Alexandre Burrows (24) ASST: Alexander Edler (23), Ryan Johnson (6)|
5 - 1 PHX
|Shane O'Brien Delaying Game-Puck over glass|
|Kyle Wellwood Too many men/ice - bench|
|Shane O'Brien Roughing against Zbynek Michalek|
|Mattias Ohlund Holding against Mikkel Boedker|
|Viktor Tikhonov Hooking against Sami Salo|
|Steve Bernier Tripping against Kyle Turris|
|Scottie Upshall Interference against Kevin Bieksa|
|Sami Salo Hooking against Peter Mueller|
|Mikkel Boedker Hooking against Henrik Sedin|
|Ryan Johnson Interference against Nigel Dawes|
|Kyle Turris Hooking against Henrik Sedin|
|Mattias Ohlund Roughing against Nigel Dawes|