Dave Vest | Anthony Perez GLENDALE--Shane Doan scored a goal to break a 2-2 tie in the third period, and the Coyotes went on to defeat the Columbus Blue Jackets, 4-2, Tuesday night at Jobing.com Arena.
Doan’s 10th goal of the season came via a deflection at the 11:11 mark of the third period. (see KEY MOMENT below).
Doan was just one of four goal scorers for Phoenix (18-13-8), which has collected points in three of its past four games.
After a scoreless first period, Scottie Upshall gave the Coyotes a 1-0 lead at the 6:40 mark of the second period when he notched his 11th of the season on a backhanded shot past Blue Jackets goalie Mathieu Garon.
Sami Lepisto extended Phoenix's lead to 2-0 at 9:37 of the second period when he found the puck in traffic in front of the goal and fired a backhanded shot past Garon.
Columbus (20-17-3) cut the deficit in half 2:20 later when R.J. Umberger fired a wrist shot past Coyotes goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov for his 14th goal of the season and fourth in the past four games.
Photo by Getty Images.
After Upshall was called for slashing at the 5:59 mark of the third period, the Blue Jackets tied the score when Jakub Voracek notched a power-play goal at 7:51.
Fifty-two seconds after Doan’s goal, Coyotes center Vernon Fiddler secured the win by picking up a loose puck in front of the Columbus net and ripping it into the twine.
“It was kind of a funny game,” Coyotes Head Coach Dave Tippett said. “Not a lot of excitement in the game. It just seemed like it was a muddy game for a while, then we got the lead and it seemed to give us a little bit of energy, and then when they tied it, it seemed to give us a little more energy again.”
Bryzgalov stopped 26 of the 28 shots he faced to pick up his 14th win of the season, while Garon stopped 29 of the 33 shots he faced in the losing effort.
With the score tied 2-2, Coyotes captain Shane Doan deflected a high shot by defenseman Keith Yandle from the left boards down and past Blue Jackets goalie Mathieu Garon at 11:11 of the third period.
"If he can keep up this pace we’ll be fine," Coyotes Head Coach Dave Tippett said of Doan. "When he’s doing it (scoring) everyone else jumps in, or should jump in. The thing about players like that is they just don’t do it a couple days; Doaner’s been doing it for a month and a half now. That’s a sign of the player he is."
• The Coyotes have held the Blue Jackets to two goals or less in 11 consecutive games.
• Captain Shane Doan has notched at least one point in seven consecutive games and has 12 points (six goals, six assists) in that span. He had a goal and an assist on Tuesday for his fourth straight multi-point game.
• Center Vernon Fiddler scored his first goal since he scored three in one game vs. Calgary on Nov. 12, and defenseman Sami Lepisto scored his first goal since Nov. 5 vs. Dallas.
• Winger Scottie Upshall scored his team-leading 11th goal of the season in the second period to extend his point streak to four games.
• Center Kyle Turris suffered an upper-body injury and played only 4:07. His status will be updated after Wednesday's practice at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.
• The Coyotes' next game is Thursday vs. Colorado at the Pepsi Center. The puck drops at 7 p.m. (Arizona time). The game can be heard on XTRA Sports 910 (AM).
"It's nice to be able to contribute and it hurts when you aren't. With getting hurt and the suspension, my time on the ice was so sporadic – I only played seven or eight games in two months. I was hoping that the more I played, the better it would get, and it's going pretty good now."
"I’m not here to score 50 goals. It definitely helps out when the third and fourth lines chip in. We have to find ways to go to the net and get puck to the net and that’s where we’re going to find our goals. It’s nice to chip in and hopefully I can continue to do that."
"When we got the big power play goal we felt like we were on the cusp of getting that third one and taking over, but they got one and you got to respond to that, we didn’t and we gave up another one and that was the story of the game."
• Jan. 11, 2011:
• Feb. 25, 2011:
• Jan. 4, 2011: PHX 4, CBJ 2
• March 24, 2011:
1 - 0 PHX
2 - 0 PHX